Monday 6 June 2011

I'll Tell You What I Want, What I Really Really Want...

Last week I talked about the players I thought should be staying and who should be leaving the Emirates this summer. This week, as promised, I will look at the players I would love to be stepping out on to the turf on the first day of the season in August.

Obviously, if money was no object this would be so much easier, with names like Messi, Xavi and, well, anyone else who currently wears a Barcelona shirt, swapping the red and blue stripes for the red with white sleeves, so i guess I'll just stick to the realistic options.

I previously mentioned that Szczesny is a great long term prospect, but it would be a great help for him to have an experienced, seasoned pro to guide him in his developement. So my first pick is Shay Given. He's one of the best keepers that the British Isles have ever produced and to have him guide the young Pole would be an amazing benefit. And the best thing is, we could have him on a free!!

Defence is a position were we seriouisly struggled last year, especially after Thomas Vermaelen got inured so a solid partner is an immediate priority for us. If for once we were prepared to shell out a little bit of cash (but come on, who am I kidding?) then I would love to see us sign either Gary Cahill or Phil Jagielka. Two young English defenders who both know the game, no frills throw-backs to the good old days when a defender had one job, and that was to keep the ball away from the goal. If we were to really be ambitious then I think we could go for Lucio. Without doubt one of the best in the world at centre back and i think he would compliment the verminator greatly.

In midfield I think we are over staffed, but only in numbers. There is not enough quality in depth and not enough experience to pull us through the tougher games. A look back at last weeks blog will see that I already think that quite a few of the players who should go play in midfield, so who should replace them? I think Scott Parker would be a good addition, however I can only see him being a fringe player unless Ces Fabregas was to leave us in the summer. We are also seriously lacking a player who isnt afraid to have a pop from outside the box, or inside the box for that matter, so a goal scoring midfielder would also be good. Obviously this is where I should be asking for the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, but we aren't Manchester City. However I dont think it ios beyond the realms of all reality that we could make a pop for Kaka. He's unsettled at Madrid, contributes goals and assits, and he is quite experienced. the only stumbling block would be wages as i dont see him wanting to take such a large paycut to join us. I think it would also be a good idea to bring in another comative midfielder to cover Alex Song when he is inevitably suspended. maybe we could bring back Lassana Diarra, or, if he was to be a part of the mass player cull that we are all anticipating at Stamford Bridge, how about Michael Essien?

Finally, we need a new look strike force. With Nic Bendtner adamant that he is going this summer (and not before time), we desperately need someone to play alongside RVP. Recently the papers have been saying that Peter Odemwingie may be about to switch the hawthorns for the Emirates, but i dont think he is the sort of calibre player we should be looking at, no dis-respect of course, but the other names that have been touted are Jermaine Defoe and Karim Benzema. These are two names that are really exciting as both are genuine goal scorers of a real proven quality, who have both played at the highest level. I think we could easily afford to bring them in to the club and they could both make a huge difference in the goals for column.

So thats it. Just a few names that I think we should be looking to bring in to the club to add the experience and ability that we were clearly lacking last season. Obviously I'm not in charge of hiring and firing and i certainly dont control the purse strings (step forward the accontant Mr Wenger) but these names should be easily attainible.

I dont know what im going to write about next week, we'll see what this week brings.

Feel free to leave comments or any suggestions on what I could write about next week :)

No comments:

Post a Comment